Hello everyone! My name is Linda and I’m passionate about natural beauty. I believe that enhancing our outer beauty comes from cultivating inner radiance, and that the best skincare starts from within. That’s why I’m excited to share with you my favorite DIY argan oil recipes for achieving radiant, youthful skin.
Argan oil has amazed me with its beautifying powers. Native to Morocco, argan oil is hailed as a legendary anti-aging elixir thanks to its unique fatty acid profile and antioxidant content. Regular application of argan oil gently nourishes skin with essential vitamins and fatty acids to smooth fine lines, minimize pores and blemishes, and improve skin clarity. Its light, non-greasy texture also makes it a dream to use.
Over the years, I’ve experimented with different ways to incorporate argan oil into my beauty routine. The recipes I’ll share with you are versions I’ve perfected for myself and now use daily. They’re simple to make with ingredients you likely already have at home. I hope you find them as transformative for your complexion as I have for mine! Let’s get started with the beneficial properties of argan oil first before diving into the recipes.
The Amazing Benefits of Argan Oil
Rich in Vitamin E and Fatty Acids
Argan oil contains high concentrations of vitamin E (around 800 mg/kg) as well as oleic and linoleic fatty acids which give it its rejuvenating properties. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that protects skin from environmental damage while supporting collagen production. Oleic acid, similar to olive oil, strengthens the skin’s barrier function. Linoleic acid is likewise essential for maintaining supple, youthful skin.
Moisturizes and Softens Skin
With its ability to penetrate deep layers of the skin, argan oil replenishes hydration from within. It shields skin from water loss so your complexion looks dewy and lines/wrinkles appear minimized. The oil’s conditioning lipids restore lipid levels, leaving your face smoother and more glowing.
Reduces Acne and Blemishes
Argan oil’s anti-inflammatory effects soothe breakouts and aid in clearing blemishes when used topically. Studies show it may help control sebum production to prevent future pimples and blackheads. Its anti-microbial properties also discourage the growth of bacteria on skin.
Protects from UV Damage
Research indicates argan oil has excellent antioxidant defenses against sun damage. Its high vitamin E and polyphenol content protect skin cells from UVA/UVB ray harm that can lead to sunspots, roughness and accelerated aging signs. You’ll retain a youthful radiance even with sun exposure!
Improves Skin Elasticity
Collagen loss is a primary reason skin loses structure and firmness with age. Argan oil’s vitamin A and E stimulate collagen production within skin to maintain elasticity. With regular use, skin regains its bounce and fine lines fade away. Your complexion takes on a lifted, rejuvenated quality.
Now that you know how beneficial argan oil is, let me share some simple formulas to incorporate its beautifying magic into your routine.
DIY Argan Oil Recipe #1: Revitalizing Facial Serum
This lightweight facial serum absorbs instantly to deliver deep hydration without leaving an oily residue. Argan oil’s skin-pampering properties synergize beautifully with other mild oils and antioxidants for radiant, flawless skin.
- 1/3 oz argan oil
- 1/3 oz jojoba oil
- 15-20 drops rosehip or grapeseed carrier oil
- 5-10 drops vitamin E oil
- 3-5 drops essential oil (optional – I like adding frankincense or lemon)
- Cleanse and dry your face thoroughly.
- In a small dark glass bottle, combine the argan oil, jojoba oil and carrier oil of your choice. Jojoba mimics sebum to regulate oil balance while rosehip or grapeseed amplify absorption.
- Add vitamin E as a natural preservative and 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil like frankincense for its calming properties or lemon for brightness. Avoid using citrus in the daytime though as it can increase sun sensitivity.
- Shake well to blend. Apply a few drops onto cleansed skin, massaging gently until fully absorbed. Use morning and night for hydrated, smooth skin.
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and sunlight. This serum will last for 2-3 months.
The silky combination of argan, jojoba and vitamin E replenishes skin with essential fatty acids while antioxidants defend against environmental stressors. Your complexion will shine with health from within! Feel free to adjust the oil amounts as needed based on your skin type.
DIY Argan Oil Recipe #2: Anti-Aging Face Mask
Pamper your skin with a decadent argan oil facial mask to counteract signs of aging, soothe occasional breakouts and deeply condition. This lush blend takes only minutes to prepare but delivers long-lasting hydration and radiance.
- 2 tablespoons argan oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 teaspoon Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon oatmeal
- 5-10 drops essential oil (optional)
- Scoop the flesh from 1/2 a ripe avocado into a small bowl and mash it until smooth with a fork.
- Add the Greek yogurt, oatmeal, honey and argan oil. Mix to form a thick, creamy paste.
- Incorporate a few drops of essential oil such as frankincense, tea tree or lavender, if desired, for their anti-aging and skin-soothing benefits.
- Apply the mask evenly to clean, dry skin, avoiding the eye area. Relax for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry. Moisturize if needed.
- Use this facial mask 1-2 times weekly and enjoy soft, youthful and clear skin! Refrigerate any unused portions.
Packed with vitamins, minerals and healthy fats, this antioxidant-rich mask deeply nourishes your complexion. The blend stimulates circulation to brighten skin from within while argan oil seals hydration for that coveted glow.
DIY Argan Oil Recipe #3: Hair Growth Oil
Revive damaged strands and induce stronger, shinier hair growth with this argan oil hair treatment. Leave it on overnight or at least an hour for maximum benefits.
- 2 tbsp argan oil
- 1 tbsp castor oil
- 10-15 drops essential oils (rosemary, peppermint, lavender)
- Combine the argan and castor oils in a small bottle.
- Add 10-15 drops total of your chosen hair growth-promoting essential oils like rosemary, peppermint or lavender and shake thoroughly.
- After shampooing and towel drying hair, section it and apply the oil mixture generously from root to tip, concentrating on the scalp.
- Comb through and tie up hair or proceed with heat protecting styling as usual, or leave it on overnight.
- Shampoo as needed, usually every 2-3 days when started.
Argan oil penetrates with moisture while castor stimulates circulation on the scalp to encourage stronger, thicker strands over time. Essential oils lend added tonic benefits for lustrous, manageable locks.
Apart from beauty recipes above, I also use argan oil alone daily as an all-over body moisturizer. Its ability to nourish without leaving residue makes it ideal for combination skin too. Here are some quick tips for incorporating pure argan oil into your routine:
- Massage it onto damp skin after showering for silky softness all day.
- Apply 2-3 drops onto lips as an overnight intensive treatment or lightweight daytime balm.
- Gently rub onto nails and cuticles to condition and strengthen fragile areas.
- Use as a natural hair conditioner by smoothing onto ends and lengths for extra sheen.
- Add 2-3 drops to your regular moisturizer or SPF lotion for boosted hydration and anti-aging power.
You can almost certainly find other creative ways to tap into argan oil’s benefits based on your specific needs. Experiment until you discover your own favorite uses for glowing skin and hair! Its versatility makes it a staple in my natural beauty regimen.
Maintaining Your Glow with Holistic Self-Care
While DIY skincare products help optimize your outer radiance, long-lasting inner glow comes from caring for yourself holistically inside and out. Certain lifestyle habits profoundly impact our appearance over time. Here are additional tips I’ve found helpful for maintaining natural good looks:
- Drink plenty of water – Dehydration is a main cause of dull, wrinkly skin. Aim for half your body weight in ounces daily.